Re: [IRCA] Scandinavian AM News

saulamdx wrote:

* A Danish item mentions 234 longwave in Kalundborg, at 300 KW. I'm not sure I understand the following - an actual transcript from the copy: "The transmitter has a power of 300 KW. Broadcasting on 234 KHz, public service broadcaster Danmarks Radio (DR) has used the station around the clock for its national Program 1 service. Though, as part of budget-saving measures, it is switched on only for special transmissions, DR is determined to continue renting the location for the next five years." I don't know how 'around the clock' can equate to 'only for special transmissions'...
Saul

I believe 243 kHz (rather than 234, an apparent typo) operated full time until a few years ago, when it was shut off due to lack of listeners and large power bills. The rest of the network (mainly FM) continues to operate 24/7. It would have been more clear if they'd said "it is now switched on..."

Bruce