Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Off topic - History of Westinghouse Broadcasting

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Off topic - History of Westinghouse Broadcasting

amdxer@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I happened upon this web site (below) while researching Westinghouse Electric. Here is a good history of their involvement in broadcasting.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Westinghouse+Broadcasting

Two notes on this:

First of all, that "encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com" site is kind of scuzzy - it's one of a whole bunch of sites that simply cut and paste Wikipedia content in order to show up on search engines and sell advertising.

Whenever you see a link like this, substitute "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/" for the domain name and you'll get the real Wikipedia page, complete with the most recent updates and edits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse+Broadcasting

Second, it's a Wikipedia page, and thus subject to all the usual problems that plague Wikipedia entries - a somewhat myopic focus (is it really true that "The Westinghouse stations are best known for using a distinctive font (closely, but not accurately mimicked in Ray Larabie's freeware font "Anklepants") for their logos and on-air imaging"? I'm not sure most people would rank that among the group's highest achievements!) and accuracy that's only as good as the contributors. (For instance, I know WBZA-FM in Springfield started on a frequency other than the 102.1 shown in this history.)

And it says WBZ signed on in October 1921. Not so.

I'm also suspicious of any history of Westinghouse Broadcasting in which the name "Don McGannon" fails to appear. That would be like a history of the American Revolution that never mentions "George Washington."

Oddly, I don't think anyone has ever written a really comprehensive history of the Big Red W. Perhaps someday...

(A proud ex-Group W'er, 1992-The End.)