Re: [IRCA] Antennas for receiving...

The Superloop seems like a great antenna that can give very sharp backside nulls compared to my flag. I had one up momentarily last spring prior to digging a garden (in the exact spot where it was). It was only 12' x 27' and didn't provide sufficient gain but almost did. The next antenna will be a replacement for the Superloop. Hoping to get some longer vertical elements on it for more gain. I believe AES sells 33' telescoping fiberglass (or nylon) support masts which is a good option. The flag now uses 4" by 4" by 8' base masts with 2"x 2" and 1" x 2" above that get raise the thing to 18 feet.

73.

Chris Knight
Fort Lupton, Colorado
http://sites.google.com/site/2008amloggings/

My westerly Flag is a really quiet antenna with a good directionality (it's pretty much as Mark Connelly describes in A DXer's Technical Guide, with the lower section about twelve feet off the ground), but the signal levels are low on the overseas signals. A superloop enclosing a larger area gives more raw signal (which can make the difference between hearing audio and not doing so), but I haven't yet managed one with as good a front to back ratio as the Flag.

best wishes,

Nick