Re: [IRCA] Antennas for receiving...

At 19:46 8/23/2008, you wrote:

>It's getting toward that time of year to put up some more antennas. So, I'm looking for suggestions as to which antenna is the best one to put up in a 60 foot by 90 foot lot for AM BCB reception that will either outperform or complement an existing 16' x 36' flag antenna (I have a Quantum Phaser phasing unit). Suggestions from those who have tried pennants, flags, superloops, KAZ, Ewes, K9AY, etc. would be much appreciated. Commercial antennas are also being considered. Thanks and 73s!

My westerly Flag is a really quiet antenna with a good directionality (it's pretty much as Mark Connelly describes in A DXer's Technical Guide, with the lower section about twelve feet off the ground), but the signal levels are low on the overseas signals.  A superloop enclosing a larger area gives more raw signal (which can make the difference between hearing audio and  not doing so), but I haven't yet managed one with as good a front to back ratio as the Flag.

best wishes,

Nick