[IRCA] First Morning: Grayland 2008.8 Ultralights

[IRCA] First Morning: Grayland 2008.8 Ultralights

Hello John,

     Wow, congratulations on logging the 18 Asians and  1 DU on the E100,
inductively coupled to the Wellbrook Array.  It certainly  sounds exciting, and I
wish I could have joined you at Grayland this week (at  least to make sure
that my favorite picnic table doesn't blow away in the  windstorm!).

     Of course, your E100 hooked up to the  Wellbrook Array will always
outperform an E100 using only a large loopstick (or  even a beverage), but my
modified E100 (Murata narrow filter plus 7.5"  slider loopstick) has logged some
exciting DX for me at Grayland, such as  Fiji-639, Tonga-1017 and multiple
Aussies and Kiwis.  Like you said, we  haven't had much chance to compare signal
levels, since I was always away at the  picnic table on the two mornings we were
both at Grayland.  It's kind of  like comparing apples to oranges, but maybe
next time we can set up a table  right outside of Room 15..assuming that there
is no RF hash to jumble up the  results.

     One of the most exciting things about the upcoming  fall season is the
chance to use the modified E100, modified !CF-2010 (30"  loopstick), and
modified ICF-SW7600GR (7.5" loopstick) to chase Asian TP's at  Grayland, and even at
home.  These all were designed primarily to chase  DU's at Grayland, and
proved quite successful.  With the stronger Asian TP  signal levels, they should
be a real blast to use around October.

     Your relative DX performance percentages for the  313 + Wellbrook Array
or Beverages, E100 + Wellbrook Array or Beverages,  E100 + Big Loopsticks and
Stock SRF-T615 are very interesting, John.  Of  course, I've never used a
Wellbrook Array or Beverage with the E100, but  this summer's five trips to
Grayland provided enough evidence to  construct this table of my own DX experiences:

     ICF-2010 + 30"  Loopstick                             100%      (8
Aussies, 5 Kiwis, etc.)

     E100 + 7.5" Slider Loopstick  + Murata IF filter       66%     (5
Aussies, 3  Kiwis, Fiji, Tonga, Hawaii)

     ICF-SW7600GR + Amidon 7.5"  Loopstick                  20%     (2
Aussies, 1 Kiwi, Hawaii)

     SRF-39FP + Amidon 7.5"  Loopstick                         10%      (1
Aussie, Hawaii)

      Stock SRF-T615                                                      10%
    (1 Aussie, Hawaii)

     The stock SRF-T615 is very competitive for Asian  TP's at Grayland,
however, John.  It logged 8 of them during a single  visit on April 20th.  It all
depends on catching great conditions, as  you know.

     73,   Gary .

deal here.