Re: [IRCA] Skywave noise

Mike McKenna wrote:
I agree with you.  There is nothing to stop any listener from
"streaming" his or her favorite "over the air" broadcast station --
through the listeners own site or page.

Nothing, except that it's a violation of copyright laws. I might be a big fan of WHAM here in Rochester, but I don't have the rights to distribute the syndicated programming it carries, nor do I have the cash to pay the music-rights fees for the ASCAP and BMI-licensed music bumpers it uses.

And there's still the issue of scalability. At WXXI, we "roll our own" streaming. Bandwidth still costs money, and when you get beyond the thousands of listeners, it costs A LOT of money. Our terrestrial AM, FM and FM HD transmitters cost exactly the same in power bills regardless of whether one person, 1000 people or 50,000 people are listening.