Re: [IRCA] Skywave noise

> > Is anyone in a very quiet area daytime that notices the overall
> > noise floor increase substantially after sunset?
>
> My whole AM band is filled with stations jamming each other with
> IBOCrap,

That's a given.  And, that noise extends at a lower level a considerable
bandwidth from the assigned frequency.  What I'm thinking about is
electrical noise.  Everything from bad powerline insulators to computers to
light dimmers.  The whole spectrum of noise.  All additive, and right across
the frequency spectrum.  Just trying to see if this noise floor is
propagated by skywave.  If so, then it comes from every direction and is
further additive.  The noise from a bad power insulator in Los Angeles is
summed with the noise from a bad one in Denver.

I guess the best way to figure this is to plunk a receiver buoy down in the
middle of the ocean and see what the S-Meter reads all day and night.  Not
something I can arrange, unfortunately.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI