Re: [IRCA] EWE Up in Carlisle UK! (Possible solution?)

Re: [IRCA] EWE Up in Carlisle UK! (Possible solution?)

Cheers Walter.
  I am using one copper pipe at each end of the EWE. I will look at extending the number of earthing rods. Here in the NW of the UK we get lots of rain all year round.
  Barry

Walter Salmaniw <salmaniw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  At 07:35 AM 8/10/2008, you wrote:
>Hello IRCA'ers
> EWE antenna finally plugged in on Saturday. I have been chatting with fellow UK EWE man John Faulkner about how it should perform.
> We both have a 10k pot in the system. John gets a definite null and then the offending signal starts to come back up again either side of the null.
> Here I get a null but the offending signal does NOT come back up again to any noticeable degree.
> I have Newcastle to my East. The best null is at 1,000 Ohms. The null falls off above 1,000 Ohms but not to any great extent. John does get a definite lift in signal strength either side of the null.
> Question. Am I disadvantaged by not getting a specific null? Any thoughts on what is happening with my EWE? If I am disadvantaged, any none technical thoughts to fix it?
> Barry

My first question, Barry, would be to ask the quality of your ground, since EWEs require a good ground. For the life of me, I don't understand why most people wouldn't use a ground independent antenna (like the Conti corner fed loop) rather than a EWE, unless they can be guaranteed a very good ground system 12 months of the year........Walt (a VERY happy Conti user)