Re: [IRCA] Propagation and DX differences

Re: [IRCA] Propagation and DX differences

Yes, I do find splatter today a lot less than in the 60s & 70s then with
so many C&W and Rock stations on AM in the past. Today, most stations
are talk and the splatter is not that bad. The signal strength is
generally not there from Hawaiians and DUs. But with the recent reports
from Grayland, the old DU cx may be on the upswing again. But I have not
found any changes here in the evening on the Hawaiians. They are much
poorer than 25 years ago. Weren't the A&K high in the early 80s? Maybe I
am mistaken, but I seem to remember a period on high solar activity
then. Anyone remember for sure? I do remmber a lot of heavy AU nights
though, and I mean "HEAVY", wiping out almost everything to the North &
East. Some nights LA would totally dominate on 710 and KIRO puts an ERP
of 86 KW at me. I caught Cook Islands on 630 khz with 500w one night and
they were the only station heard on 630!

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager