Re: [IRCA] Banff Trip

I have a bandscan from Waterton too (1999) so I'll try to dig that one up.
It was an interesting place to visit, with all the very large, healthy
bighorn sheep roaming the streets of town.  Couldn't enjoy the scenery too
much due to overcast and fog.  The AM TIS stations in Waterton and Banff are
long gone; when I was at Waterton, they had merely covered up the
frequencies on the old signs.
Of the places I've stayed in Alberta so far, I definitely like Jasper best.
Pretty good DX and tons of wildlife.

I stayed in Lake Louise a few times and liked the conditions there with my
old Radio West Loop in 1988.  I have also stayed in Banff and Johnston
Canyon.  I prefer Johnston Canyon.  It's between the two towns, on the old
highway (where all the wildlife hangs around), and very convenient if you're
going to visit this area.  There is less risk of encountering electrical
noise there, and you probably won't get so much of the "hotel room effect"
of sharply-attenuated signals in the wooden cabins there.

If you can carve out a few days to visit Jasper it is well worth it.  All
the old AM TIS stations are long-gone, but I understand from a 2005 visit
that Columbia Icefields has been thinking about resurrecting theirs.

73, Tim