[IRCA] Tried a couple new portables today.

[IRCA] Tried a couple new portables today.

As many of you know, you won't find anyone on this list who's less of a fan of portables than I.

Anyhow..tested two of those grey credit card sized Sony wonders..and WOW..quite sexy for their size, but not quite as much oopmh as my old TRF-12-655 but nice to get KTRS 550 here 35 miles NW of Chicago days in WIND 560 null etc etc. (Poor RXes have no chance) but the TRF does that also.

OK now to the Eton E1 and to be frank I am not terribly impressed ! FM is decent..but the whip doesn't swivel and the set has decent selectivity but would be better for DXers if a bit tighter and while you can make it directive by holding it so the whip is horiz, with the whip vertical, it is no better than the stock (surprisingly good and better than GM's trash) radio in my new Dodge pickup.

OMG the E1 has no AM ferrite loop stick. YUCK as the non directional whip picks up noise and noise and MORE noise. KTRS,,LOL too much WIND slop and noise.

I was thinking of using the E1 for a frisbee but naw..give it as a prize at the next convention until I went to RS twice (cuz the dufus assured me that I needed the wrong adapter) one would think Eton could include a PAL adapter for US sales ??? and hooked it up to my BOG, that I decided to think about keeping it.

In short, the E1 is worthless to DXers without some kind of antenna other than the whip (puke) and the R8A is still better even for domestic DX, but not by a huge ammount.

On shortwave I recall that my dead (error 3 and CAN'T fix no matter what..who can fix this ??) Sony ICF-2010 had more sensitivity with just its whip antenna as compared to the Eton with it's whip.

Maybe I'll keep the E1 as a backup for domestic DX if I fear my DX truck's battery is low.

My appologies to those who love these portables..at 15 bucks the Sony ULR is fun, but the E1 (what was the Circuit City big sale price ?) will be little more than a $300 paperweight I fear.

73 KAZ...who's next buy will be a Perseus SDR (what's best way to get one here in the US ?)