[IRCA] Remote SDR operation

One of the things I've experimented with is remote operation of the SDR-14
receiver.  Originally I tried setting it up in New Bedford, MA with a loop
aimed N-S.  Local operation showed some very interesting receptions, even
though it was located right at a transmitter site.  Caribbean stations were
especially good.

The initial setup was to use the network interface.  I set the IP and port
in the Spectravue software, with the port enabled in the router on-site.  It
did connect, but was unuseable.  Got a second of audio, and it cut out.
Just flat-out didn't work.

Next effort was to point the audio to a Windows Media Encoder so there'd be
a stream.  Then, remote control of the computer by PC Anywhere.  This did
work, and quite well.  The only drawback was the delay between audio being
encoded and playing through the client at the remote end.  At times it
exceeded a minute of delay.  However, this is quite normal for streaming
audio.  I've seen almost four minutes of delay on occasion.  This is OK, but
rather clumsy and not really acceptable for most DXers.

Obviously the best solution would be for a version of Spectravue that would
support remote IP access control.  No clue if Moetronics is going to do
that.

My question is,  what SDR will work remotely?  If there is one, it would be
very interesting to set it up somewhere like Granite Pier or even the
WNBH-1340 transmitter site.  Much like the DX Tuners arrangement, this could
be a real fun project.  Does the Perseus work remotely?  Any of the others?
Ideally a SDR would have an ethernet port so it would connect directly to
the network.  Connect power, antenna and CAT5 and away you go.  Maybe the
next generation of receivers could do that.

Those of you who have experience with the DX Tuners software may know if it
can interface with the current crop of SDRs like the RFSpace or Perseus.
That might solve the whole thing.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI