From: Dale Lamm [mailto:DLamm@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 12:28 PM
To: Jim Pogue
Subject: RE: WHBC 1480 kHz Canton, OH DX Test

Jim,

Am writing to update you on the 3/29/08 DX test with WHBC.

I am afraid we will need to postpone the test as published to avoid
entanglements with FCC rule 73.72.

Looking closely at FCC 73.72, it says "...provided no interference is
caused to other stations maintaining a regular operating schedule within
such period". See the 73.72 excerpt below.

(a) An AM station may operate during the experimental period (the time
between midnight and sunrise, local time) on its assigned frequency
and with
its authorized power for the routine testing and maintenance of
its
transmitting system, and for conducting experimentation under
an
experimental authorization, provided no interference is caused to
other
stations maintaining a regular operating schedule within such period.

If we interpret the Rules strictly, then they would seem to prohibit
operation at night while using the daytime power and antenna pattern.

Because WHBC-AM has a nighttime authorization which allows us 24/7
operation, my view is that special ID's aired in the wee hours are
acceptable, so long as they are transmitted using authorized power and
pattern for the period.

We share the 1480 frequency with other broadcasters, one of them located
in our own state.

Let's discuss what our remaining options are before 3/29.

Dale Lamm
Director of Engineering
WHBC AM/FM NextMedia Group
330-471-1583