[IRCA] ULR: small surprise with new SRF59

[IRCA] ULR: small surprise with new SRF59

Good morning,

about 4 weeks ago I bought from a chinese seller at eBay a SRF-59. Yesterday
I finally received it at my work place.

I was completely deceptioned! The reception was different from an old SRF-59
I own! Sensitivity and selectivity was, say about 70% of my old 59. And, to
make things worse, there were images/mirroring about 100Khz down from local
stations on MW band; and I could hear as low as 81MHz (VHF channel 5 audio)
on FM!

I thought: would this be a pirate copy?!

No. To make things shorter, it seems to be a Sony, but clearly made in China
(as one could read in the rear). It has a PCB with different revision and 2
diodes more. Also, the mono/stereo now is a "FM DX/Local" switch.

After an alignment (AM tracking CT4/4 and L5) by "ear", the MW came to life
almost as good as the old SRF59. Still, I feel there is still some
imaging/mirroring.

I plan to publish in one or two weeks from now a more detailed report
showing the differences of the two 'specimen' :)

73,

Huelbe
Porto Alegre, Brazil