Re: [IRCA] NOW Battery Life.

If you haven't considered rechargeable NiMH cells in a while, you may want
to re-visit.  They are approaching capacity of alkaline cells.  I have
several devices that I power all week long on them.  I just have a weekend
routine of charging them a new set of cells for them.  If you go this route,
get a good charger (one that can charge at various rates....slow is
better).  There is also a new chemistry in some NiMH's that dramatically
slows down the "discharge while the charged cell is sitting around"
problem...at the expense of some capacity.

Some devices are poor candidates for NiMHs.  I use alkaline for those and I
have a group of partially used cells that I sometimes use to keep a device
going (or just holding memories) while waiting for NiMHs to charge.

Between a good charger and initial investment of a good supply of cells, you
might put $80-$100 into it.  Payback pretty quick when you consider the cost
of alkaline.  I have always found Thomas Distributing to be a good source
for rechargeables (no connection to them).