[IRCA] Eton E100 Quick Review

Hello All,

     The Eton E100 Ultralight radio barely missed the  cutoff to be included
in the 2008 ULR Shootout (currently posted on dxer.ca),  but it has some very
desirable qualities that merit wide publicity.

     Taking advantage of an ultra-low bid price on the  eBay auction from
Durham Radio (advertised on dxer.ca), Rob Ross and I each  picked up an E100 at
$27.01 plus $12.95 shipping, which has to be one of  the all-time great ULR
steals (Rob and I have our prison radios ready, in case  we end up in the
Slammer).

     The E100 has extensive shortwave coverage and many  desirable features,
but this quick summary will concentrate on the medium wave  performance.  In
direct comparison with the other top-rated ULR models (the  SRF-T615, SRF-39FP,
SRF-59, SRF-M37V, DT-200VX, DT-210V and SRF-59),  the E100 is a very
competitive model.  Sensitivity is very close to that of  the top-rated SRF-T615,
although this depends on the quality of the factory  alignment (more later).
Selectivity is equal to that of the DT-210V, making  it one of the two top-rated
ULR models.  Among the digital pocket  radios, the E100 has the unique (except
for the CCR-SWP turkey  model) ability to tune in 1 kHz increments, a definite
advantage in chasing  the splits (and investigating all frequencies around
desirable DX).  The  good selectivity, decent sensitivity and 1 KHz tuning
ability give it a  serious shot at TA or TP-DX near the ocean coasts.  It does have
image  frequency reception 910 kHz below strong locals, but so does every
other digital  ULR except the DT-200VX.  Resistance to spurious signals seems
above  average.

     This model, however, has a unique loopstick with a  coil wound on an
immovable form, which basically means that you can align the  high end of the
band, but you are stuck with the low band performance provided  by the factory
(unless you wish to rewind the coil).  Kevin Schanilec  sent me a unit that had
phenomenal high band performance (the best I've ever  heard in a stock ULR),
but mediocre low-band sensitivity.  My own unit,  received today, has
out-of-the-box performance superior to Kevin's model on the  low band, but less than
Kevin's model on the high band.  Presumably this  can be improved with high-band
alignment.  Once again Chinese  factories are making it a challenge to give
standard sensitivity ratings, but  assuming that most of the factory units are
like mine, the E100 provides  stiff competition for the other ULR models, and
an excellent value, even if you  don't get it for $27.01  :>)

         73,  Gary DeBock