From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Craig Healy
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 4:22 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] UnID 1700 Disney

> Another evening about three years ago I caught them
> broadcasting one of the weirdest talk shows I have
> ever heard.  Then apparently the high schooler who
> was running the FM side popped over, realized his
> boss, a Methodist, wouldn't like hearing his AM station
> carrying someone who sounded like a cross between
> Sister Fatima and the Wicked With of the West, and
> started changing channels (on the air), finally settling
> (I think) for ESPN, which made some sense since they
> carry ESPN on the weekends.  So whoever it was heard
> it, I believe you really did hear Radio Disney on 1700,
> but unless somebody comes clean you may never know whose
> transmitter was actually broadcasting it.

While not impossible, it's less than likely.  All the ABC channels, Disney
included, are distributed by satellite.  The receiver is a Starguide III
usually.  That must be specifically enabled to get a particular program
channel.  For example, two of my clients carry the ABC Oldies channel.  When
the changeover was made, I flipped through about all the channels and only
that one was enabled.  Unless someone had a Starguide formerly used by a
Radio Disney station, it's not likely someone could receive it.

Going the other way, I was working with the backup Starguide at the 550
Disney station in Providence.  It only could get Disney programming, nothing
else.  It's also not all that easy to change channels on those.  Not just a
matter of twisting a dial or clicking a mouse.

If someone were to grab Disney programming, it's more likely to come from
either XM or Sirius.  Seems a rather weird choice for a pirate, too.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI