Re: [IRCA] UnID 1700 Disney

Well,

Whoever said that what I heard was something that should not have been there must be right. I've DXed 1700 any number of times and I ALWAYS have Brownsville TX, Richardson (Dallas), TX and Des Moines mixing. The three line up in a North-South line, with me between Richardson and Des Moines. With the Wellbrook phased array, I can listen to Des Moines alone to my North and a varying mixture of the two Texans to my south. I've never really tried for Huntsville, AL, but I'm sure that I could get them with my array turned east, since they are almost due east of me.

What makes that 1700 Disney reception so weird is that I instantly knew that I had something that I had not heard before, since I was using a 12" ferrite bar and the thing was looping due East/West rather than the normal North/South for the three that I usually hear on 1700. The FCC isn't authorizing new stations in the expanded band is it?? Given where the others are on 1700, a station in Albuquerque, Phoenix or Ft. Smith would not be too unreasonable. Hummmmmm.

I have checked at every DX session since I logged that 1700 Disney and all that I hear is the 3 previous occupants. Hummmm.

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)

At 09:21 PM 3/3/2008 +0000, you wrote:
> Another evening about three years ago I caught them
> broadcasting one of the weirdest talk shows I have
> ever heard.  Then apparently the high schooler who
> was running the FM side popped over, realized his
> boss, a Methodist, wouldn't like hearing his AM station
> carrying someone who sounded like a cross between
> Sister Fatima and the Wicked With of the West, and
> started changing channels (on the air), finally settling
> (I think) for ESPN, which made some sense since they
> carry ESPN on the weekends.  So whoever it was heard
> it, I believe you really did hear Radio Disney on 1700,
> but unless somebody comes clean you may never know whose
> transmitter was actually broadcasting it.

While not impossible, it's less than likely. All the ABC channels, Disney included, are distributed by satellite. The receiver is a Starguide III usually. That must be specifically enabled to get a particular program channel. For example, two of my clients carry the ABC Oldies channel. When the changeover was made, I flipped through about all the channels and only that one was enabled. Unless someone had a Starguide formerly used by a Radio Disney station, it's not likely someone could receive it.

Going the other way, I was working with the backup Starguide at the 550 Disney station in Providence. It only could get Disney programming, nothing else. It's also not all that easy to change channels on those. Not just a matter of twisting a dial or clicking a mouse.

If someone were to grab Disney programming, it's more likely to come from either XM or Sirius. Seems a rather weird choice for a pirate, too.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI