Re: [IRCA] 1215 in audio on the west coast and SDRs

At 07:08 PM 2/22/2008, you wrote:
>And how's Perseus comparing against the SDR-IQ????

Now at 05:17, 1215 continues at fair + level.  Much better than earlier.  Chuck, let me review the differences and things I like about each of the receivers:

Of course, I love the 400 kHz spectrum display and the secondary display of the Perseus.  A big plus.  The averaging buttons (AVG) are very handy and user friendly.  It's wonderful to be able to drag the sidebands whichever way one wants to without having to go to setup window as is the case on the IQ.  Also, of course, you can independently configure the sidebands on AM, whereas the IQ does not allow this.  I wish the Perseus allowed both the spectrum and the waterfall to be displayed at the same time like the IQ.  It's one or the other.  With the cursor over the main spectrum, one must only estimate the frequency.  There is no readout like there is on the IQ.  This I really miss.  The only way to be sure is to click on a frequency and then fine tune using the secondary display....not the easiest to use.  I really like the various demodulation options.  I've used the DRM button quite nicely with VAC and DREAM software.  Very much plug and play.  The Database is handy (on SW!
  anyway) with HFCC and the EiBi databases available, as well as a user option.  I'd love to have the PAL/NRC AM radio guide and the European/African lists as options.  Any takers out there to take on this project?

I haven't done much recording of 400 kHz bandwidth yet.  Seems to me that the automatic sequential file naming doesn't occur like it does on the IQ, but perhaps I'm incorrect here.  I love the IQ method.  Very easy to keep track of exactly what the file contains.  The playback from Wav file is easier on the Perseus.  Simply push the button marked Wav on the Input Select (as opposed to Perseus) and you're in business.  No, it won't playback IQ files, unfortunately.  The display of the Perseus is very attractive and intuitive compared to the IQ.  It looks a lot like a receiver, compared to the lab looking front end of the IQ.

Of course one needs an external power supply for the Perseus compared to the USB supplied power of the IQ.

The Perseus itself is VERY attractive.  It's about the size of an external HDD, and just a gorgeous thing to look at.

As for which receiver has the edge, it's too early for me to say, as I've not really sat them down side by side.  I'm suspecting the Perseus has the edge, though, but one would need to have 2 laptops to properly A/B these SDRs.........Walt.