Re: [IRCA] SRF-59 Question

Hello Ray,

     This is Gary DeBock, the original SRF-59  reviewer.  About 10% of the
SRF-59 factory units have a tuning capacitor  that is relatively tough to tune,
presumably because of unusual friction in the  tuner assembly.  The Chinese
factories put varying amounts of grease on the  tuner gears and center post,
although I have seen some with no grease at all  (about 3 out of 35 units I have
disassembled).

     If you think your SRF-59 is tough to tune, I would  recommend either
greasing the tuner post and gears, or purchasing an SRF-39FP  "Prison Radio" from
eBay, which has a much larger tuning thumb wheel than the  SRF-59 (with
identical electrical circuitry), and is usually much easier to  tune.  If you have
any other questions about the SRF-59 or other Ultralight  radios, please feel
free to ask-- you will find that most Ultralight radio DXers  will go out of
their way to help others join in the fun.

                    73,  Gary

48)