Re: [IRCA] OTH radar scrapped by Ottawa

Well, there was more to it than just one complaint. This is something I was
involved with in my  Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) IARU Monitoring
capacity.  I am assuming this is the Raytheon HF SWR-503 OTH radar that was
installed in the Grand Banks region of Newfoundland and caused a great deal
of interference to 80 m amateur band signals in the fall/winter of 1999,
often centered near the DX window of 3790-3800 khz.  The signal was strong
in both Europe and the east coast of the Americas, and many complaints were
made. At the time, we didn't know who to blame so these complaints were made
within amateur circles, to the ARRL, RAC and FCC etc.  It quickly became
apparent it was coming from our Canadian east coast and thru the
RACchannels our concerns fell on the right ears and the interference
ceased.
They may have regarded this as one complaint, but it was a significant one,
made up of many.  Obviously someone erred in allowing the radar to transmit
in the 80m amateur band, but in hind sight this error brought it worldwide
attention it didn't want and perhaps it's eventual downfall.   I am unaware
of it operating in any of the amateur exclusive frequencies since that time
period.

This radar didn't have the sweeper sound of the 60m CODAR, but operates at a
higher rate, and was dubbed as a buzz saw radar, and covered about 20 khz.
 The sound is not unlike the Chinese radar I often hear in or around the 7
mhz 40m ham band.

As far as the comment on some of these radars being intelligent in that they
avoid frequency where they detect activity -  in my opinion, when they can
detect my (and other's)  receiver's local oscillator(s) and frequency
division scheme, and hence establish the frequency I'm trying to listen to,
and avoid that - then I will say they are intelligent.

73 Don
VE6JY

Some information at: http://www.raytheon.ca/ATC_Radar_Systems/feature305.asp

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

 Raytheon successfully demonstrates high frequency surface wave radar

 For long-range oceanic surveillance

WATERLOO, Ontario, Canada, (Dec. 23, 1999) -- Raytheon Systems Canada  Ltd.,
a subsidiary of Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTNA, RTNB), has developed and
successfully demonstrated a shore-based, long-range  High-Frequency (HF)
Surface Wave Radar in collaboration with the Canadian Department of National
Defence.

Designated HF SWR-503, Raytheon's surface wave radar is an
oceanic surveillance system for monitoring such illegal activities as drug
trafficking, smuggling, piracy, illicit fishing and illegal immigration. In
addition, it may be used for tracking icebergs, environmental protection,
search and rescue, resource protection,  sovereignty monitoring and remote
sensing of ocean surface currents and winds. Because of its long-range
capability, Raytheon's HF SWR-503 allows a coastal nation to monitor surface
and low-level airborne targets up to and beyond its 200-nautical-mile (nm)
Exclusive Economic  Zone (EEZ).

Lionel Leveille, president and general manager of Raytheon Systems Canada
Ltd., said, "Raytheon is the first to have successfully  demonstrated the
long-range detection and tracking capability of this  system at ranges
beyond 200 nautical miles."

The Canadian system consists of two land-based, long-range radars and an
Operations Control Center (OCC). The two unmanned radars provide coverage of
the Grand Banks region of Newfoundland renowned for its offshore resources,
particularly fisheries and oil fields.

Extensive performance testing of the system was conducted using two  fully
functional radars in conjunction with alternate surveillance sensors, such
as airborne radar, spotter aircraft and surface patrol craft, which provided
target verification. Raytheon's HF SWR-503 successfully detected and tracked
all targets observed by these other  sensors, marking the world's first
successful demonstration of HF  surface wave radar technology for
EEZmonitoring activity.

One hundred six coastal states currently have economic jurisdiction up  to
the 200-nm limit under the terms of the United Nations Convention on the Law
of the Sea. It is to the benefit of these coastal nations  to establish and
maintain administration, law enforcement and  environmental protection over
this maritime zone.

Raytheon's long-range HF radar is the first land-based sensor that can
provide continuous, all-weather and real-time surveillance of EEZ waters.
Leveille added, "Raytheon's HF Surface Wave Radar is a major  breakthrough
providing greatly improved oceanic surveillance at a  fraction of the cost
of traditional methods. It complements existing  surveillance assets and
will dramatically increase the effectiveness of air and surface patrol
missions by vectoring them directly to  targets of interest."

Raytheon Company, based in Lexington, Mass., is a global technology  leader
that provides products and services in the areas of commercial  and defense
electronics, engineering and construction, and business and special mission
aircraft. Raytheon has operations throughout the United States and serves
customers in more than 80 countries around the world.

Corporate Communications

corpcom@xxxxxxxxxxxx