Re: [IRCA] OTH radar scrapped by Ottawa

At 10:43 AM 2/1/2008, you wrote:
>> Read this in our local Victoria paper on Monday.  Note that apparently a single person complained.....the power of one!
>>
>> http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=3a853b61-62cd-449a-9537-3bae9565a2a2&k=73075
>>
>This is the same OTH Radar that clogs a portion of 60 Meters?
>

>--
>Colin Newell - Editor/Creator coffeecrew.com | dxer.ca
>Web-Design / E-Commerce / Writing
>Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

No it's not, Colin.  60m is clogged by CODAR, which is a civilian application used for research purposes studying the oceans/waves, etc.  It's fairly narrow in spectrum using 15 to 20 kHz at a time.  I suspect that the Canadian radar was much more sophisticated.  When it was
operational, there were those who suspected that they heard it, but this was never confirmed (on either east or west coasts).  I think that it was likely spread spectrum and frequency agile, therefore not causing a lot of problems to spectrum users, except perhaps in the immediate vicinity.  It sure would be interesting to hear the individual who complained and got the thing canned in the first place!  For sure this was no Russian woodpecker!........Walt.