Re: [IRCA] Chicago area questions

Patrick Griffith, N0NNK / WPE9HVW wrote:
> 1. Can anyone tell me if WCEV and WRLL (ex-WVON) are still a shared time
> situation on 1450? The FCC records indicate that they are. But I thought
> that had gone away.

They still are shared-time. The WVON programming and calls moved to a
full-time signal on 1690 (ex-WRLL), which for now is being leased from
Clear Channel with an option to buy. WRLL on 1450 is a mixture of black
gospel and simulcasts with WVON 1690. I often hear WVON on 1690 ID'ing
with both sets of calls.

WCEV is ethnic programming, on the air from 1-10 PM daily. WRLL has the
rest of the airtime on 1450.

> 2. Can someone remind me who the station is that was transmitting from
> the north suburbs with several very short top-loaded towers? The last
> time I visited there, probably a half dozen years ago, I believe they
> were ethnic - possibly Polish.

I believe that would be WNVR 1030 Vernon Hills. It's Polish.

> 3. Who was the station that was transmitting from the roof an old
> factory building on the near west side? I think it may have been a split
> site operation. But I don't recall if this was the day or night site.

There are still a few rooftop antennas in Chicago - the day site of WNTD
950 might be the one you're thinking of, at 16th and Kedzie. It's
partway down this page:

http://www.fybush.com/sites/2006/site-061103.html

WPNA 1490 Oak Park is also a rooftop antenna, as were at least some of
the former 1240 share-timers (WCRW, WSBC, WEDC) that have since been
combined into full-time WSBC.