Re: [IRCA] UltraLight Awards + Definitions

Re: [IRCA] UltraLight Awards + Definitions

An offshoot of Awards and Definitions would be a contest.  I realize that
"contests" are anathema to some, but the ones I am familiar with are more
organized "comparisons" than cut-throat competitions. Since 1999, crystal
radio nuts, including yours truly, have a yearly "contest" over two winter
weeks, wherein logs are kept and submitted.  Two broad categories entail
scoring methods which either  compile power and distance or total number of
stations.  There are various contest categories of sets, antennas, etc.
which determine classes.  We used to submit prizes that were often steered
towards young participants.  Now, we give certificates.  The contest group
(Bama Group www.crystalradio.us ) has expanded the contests to include a one
active device contest and a couple of weekend sprints.  One entrant from NE,
logged 170 MW stations with his xtl set this October on one weekend.  It
takes me the full two weeks winter contest to log over 150 with my xtl set.

The weekend "sprint" format would be perfect for ultra-light contesting.  It
would also simplify things if the "sprint" had a $15 +/- entrance fee (paid
to a vendor for purchase of an SRF59) and the contest was limited to a four
to six hour listening period ( choice of participants) from Friday night  0000
UTC to 1200UTC Monday.  This balances out West versus East Coast issues. Two
categories of entrants:  Hobby:  barefoot, unmodified SRF59.  Open:  Any
combination of SRF59s using whatever the entrant is capable of hooking up to
or through the rx, antenna wise, amp wise, dsp, etc.. Any and all electronic
modifications to the rx is permitted.  In either category, a second rx may
be used for frequency id or spotting as long as the transmission can be
heard on the UL.  If the signal fades in the UL but remains audible in the
spotter rx, the id is still good.  The previous suggestions of contest
categories are excellent:  50kW or more DX, 5kW, best miles per watt
station, DX stations over 1000 miles, countries, and total station
count.  Prizes
limited to "Attagirl/Attaboy".  We can avoid the "log jam" of the xtl radio
contest by avoiding the scoring formula.  Why limit it to the SRF59? 1) cost
2) I have one (actually several.  Family secret as to exact #)  3) cost and
performance 4) everyone (or so it seems) seems to have one thanks to Gary,
the Johnny Appleseed of the SRF59.  Aside from the camaraderie (misery loves
company), another benefit of the xtl radio contests has been the development
of superior xtl radios resulting from the sharing of technique and set
design.  With everyone listening at the same time, we easily see what works
and what doesn't.  (Aside from qth differences which is the ultimate aid to
dxing.)  Deadlines tend to accelerate development.  Contest dates are
deadlines in that regard.   Contesting would possibly do the same for the
little radio that could, the SRF59, which begs to be "modded" to the
max.  Regardless
whether or not contests take place, some of the above could be
considered for any Records/Definitions of Ultralight performance criteria.

Gil