Re: [IRCA] Poor Excuses kill this hobby

--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But, after the turn of the
> century, things changed very quickly, almost over-night. The attitude
> toiwards the DXer changed very much. Some fly in the ointment changed
> all that. Corporate ownership may have had some effect, but hey,
> there
> were corporations that owned stations in the 80s & 90s and the reply
> rate was still good.  But, I just saw an attitude change, where the
> station did not have that interest in reports. When talking to them,
> they were generally polite, but I did not hear that interest in their
> voices. Something changed, rude reports from DXers? Who knows? I have
> heard stories along those lines, but there have always been those.

*** I think several things happened, including all of the above. Add in
relaxed FCC requirements for engineers, for instance. The bottom line
is that like most other industries, there are fewer people doing the
same or mor work. With greater ownership of more stations by the huge
corporations, this is accentuated, and along with that goes the
attitude. I also think demands by DX'ers for QSL's but more
significantly complaints by other DX'ers about perceived illegal
operations, often without any factual basis nor any tolerance for human
error or automation failures have increased significantly over the past
8-10 years.

And whether DX'ers on these lists like it or not, there are industry
people monitoring, reading and sharing what they see, and it isn't
always pretty. If it's the attitudes of some number of people in the
industry towards DX'ers that's "killing the hobby", then we have to
accept some portion of the responsibility for that.

We'd all be a lot better off without the repeated complaints on the
lists about lack of QSL's, lack of tests, when we think stations
running higher power than they should be or operating when they
shouldn't be. Think about it, folks !

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]