Re: [IRCA] Poor Excuses kill this hobby

--- Konnie Rychalsky <dxbox87@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> With all due respect, you are a ham radio operator, and the reference
> at the bottom of your recent post ( QRZ.com ) does an excellent job
> at  "defining" what a QSL is, unless you have redefined it.  I in no
> way suggested that you insist upon the testing-station that you
> educate them, but come on now.... you "ARE" a ham radio operator....
> and wouldn't it help to a) when you ask a station to run a test, ask
> them if they have a QSL available, b) if not, offer one, and c) it
> would be nice to let us know?????  Ham radio operators know what QSLs
> are, and no news to you I'm sure.  Aren't you of all people suppossed
> to encourage the hobby of radio?  Doesn't Ham radio include QSLs???

Well, here we go again!

I have to once again question the notion that nothing is anything
without a QSL. We appear to have two hobbies here - DX'ing and QSL'ing
where once there was one.

Even when postage rates were reasonable and QSL rates were high, there
were always stations which didn't respond after follow-ups. I don't
think I ever sent a station more than 3 follow-ups, and that was only
once - for reception of KFQD-AK in Syracuse NY in 1966.

I think many of us reached a point back then when we would not keep
sending fruitless follow-ups, potentially annoying station personnel
and wasting our time and money.

Today, the costs of QSL'ing are higher and the returns are poor. Many
on these lists consider their recording as their QSL because of that. I
am one of those unless a DX TEST clearly indicate QSL's will be
provided, and even that isn't a certainty, considering the recent past
record - WISN-1130/WOKY-920, WRCG-1420 to name a few. People move on
and the chain is broken.

So, to answer Konnie's question, there are a lot of us who would listen
( whether live or by remote automated unattended recording ) for tests
and be happen with them absent a QSL. I am always happy to add a new
station to my log.

Others may disagree, as Konnie already has, and I know some other do,
and that's fine, but I don't believe it is right for those who believe
that the QSL is the only object of this hobby to impose that belief on
the rest of us who don't share it.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]