Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: WBAL is better now

On Thursday 20 September 2007 18:39, Bill Harms wrote:
> Barry, this is what that site returned. Interestingly, WCBM has a
> stronger signal according to the site.
>
> WCBM-N 81.2 dBu  11.51  mV/m
> WBAL-N 79.8 dBu   9.79  mV/m

That should certainly put you well inside WBAL's primary protected contour.

I calculated the field strength of WTAM's lower primary digital sideband
(i.e., the noise signal under WBAL) to be 0.42 mV/m.  This is the 10% skywave
value, which means the field strength would be exceed that value 10% of the
time.  That value would be 27 dB less than WBAL, which would certainly make
the noise audible.  It would be much worse closer to WBAL's NIF contour,
however, which should be a cause for concern for them.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON