[IRCA] Part 15: an explanation (and loopholes?)

At 03:18 AM 7/19/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>If it's Part 15, it's limited to 100MW ERP from each transmitter into a 3
>meter antenna.. otherwise it isn't legal.

Paul,

What Part 15 says is that the D-C input into the final shall not exceed
100 mW*, not 100 mW ERP. Also, the total length of the antenna, feedline
and ground connection shall not exceed 3 meters.

* You mean mW=milliwatts. MW=megawatts!

Effectively, that means the final is going to be VERY close to the
antenna. Reading the "letter of the law," I see no averse language
that prohibits a complete radial system. THAT would make a BIG
difference in a 100 mW's reach/coverage.

Also, since the D-C input is fixed at 100 mW, I see no averse
language that limits the R-F input to the final to any level.
That means, for example, if one uses a grounded-grid or grounded-base
final, if driver feeds 50 mW into the final it will also appear in the
output for a total of 150 mW!

It looks legal to me.

Our barn has a galvanized roof and years ago I took the time and trouble
to bond the sheets together.I also put up a 10-foot mast atop the center
of the roof.
But I never carried through and put a 100-mW transmitter up there. I
may go berzerk and put the mast back up and try a small BC station or
beacon.

>Meaning, they can synch more then one transmitter together as long as none
>of the individual transmitters exceed 100MW ERP with a 3 meter antenna

Got that right!

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP

  Greenville, North Carolina