[IRCA] I-5 TIS/HAR LISTENING

I drove on I-5 from Tacoma down to Castle Rock (Exit 49) yesterday
and heard these HARs of consequence:
530 WPVW568 WA Lacey. Fairly good in to Olympia and Tumwater. WSDOT HAR.
530  WNVA814 WA Scatter Creek Rest Area. Average signal. WSDOT HAR.
530 WQBV586 WA Napavine. This is on to update construction work
between mileposts 72-76. Excellent signal to the south; very readable
at Exit 49 and at least three miles east from there. Good quality
audio (mic, not phone).
540 (no ID) WA Castle Rock. Promotional signage for traffic info but
in real life this station is relaying NOAA weather out of Olympia on
152mHz.

A year ago, it seemed that the WSDOT had eliminated the geographic
identification of their HARs. A few months ago, they seem to have
reverted. In two instances yesterday, it seems like they have gone
one step further and are now including milepost numbers. On I-5, the
exit numbers/milepost numbers represent the mileage northbound from
the Oregon border. Another thing which seems to be standardized is
that they now seem to run the spiels three times and then give the ID.

In other breathtaking action:

1520 WPVZ859 WA Auburn. Promotional signage noted for the Federal Way
HAR but all I got driving down I-5 was a carrier with Auburn very
strong under or even with it. These are very close co-channel outlets.
1640 WA City of Auburn. This is a Part 15 station and I asked them
for their power. The marketing lady can't find any document with that
figure on it but sent me a coverage map of the Auburn area with green
dots where the signal was hot; yellow where it was weak; and red
where it was non-existent. My DX location, I-5, was not on the map.
1610 WA WPVW617 DuPont. Average signal. WSDOT HAR.
1660. WA City of Tukwila. A couple of weeks ago Tukwila was testing
this station using audio from the Redmond test; this was very
confusing since Redmond's call letters and frequency (1650) were
transmitted. Last Wednesday 7/11, they were heard testing with their
correct city and call letters; however, because of a new local noise,
I could not make out the calls. This morning, on another trip to
SeaTac, they were not on the air.

All receptions noted either 7/17 or 7/18 on I-5 while driving around
in the '92 Buick except for 1640 and 1660.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
Buick car radio