[IRCA] CHWO off air

--- Brian Smith <am740@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> CHWO - AM 740 will be off the air from midnight
> until 4:00 AM EDT.  Wednesday, June 27, 2007.

I managed to stay awake for this planned shutdown this
morning. At 2 or 3 minutes before midnight, CHWO
announced the outage scheduled between 12:00 and 4:00
am. Yet the music continued along with station ID's
until 12:30 when the signal abruptly ended.

Although three or perhaps four stations could be
heard, at best I could only get snippets of each.

To the south was a talker that sounded like Savage
Nation discussing immigration reform.

To the southeast was Spanish speaking station and in
the jumble, all that I could make out was "este
es...".

To the west was a station playing music. Many of the
songs could not be identified, they did play Billy
Joel's "Piano Man" at 01:15 EDT.

The possibly fourth station in the mix was what
sounded like country music.

Even though I did not have luck identifying these new
stations, I would like to thank Brian Smith for giving
us the opportunity.

About 6 or 7 years ago when CBL shut down and before
CHWO started broadcasting, I did manage to hear the
station in Humboldt Tennessee (WIRJ???), but I see
they are now listed 16 nighttime watts.

73 de Joe Miller, AB8YP, Troy, Michigan