Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:28:47 -0700
From: mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx (Patrick Martin)
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Antenna Soldering, revisited
	Club of	America)

Charles,

Will a Western Union splice last as long as a soldered one.? I always
fiqured soldering a splice and then covering it with good electrical plastic
tape was the best way to go. With the wet and windy weather I don't want to
end up with a bad splice in the storms. We have wind gusts to 120 MPH out
here at times. With a soldered splice, there is no way that will work loose
in time. At least I have not had any trouble with them as long as I get the
wire hot enough for a good splice. That has been the problem with the little
butane soldering pencils in the Winter. It is hard to get them hot enough in
45 degree weather and the wind blowing. Now the 100 watt solder gun, no
problem at all.
   As far as the slack in the wire, I have some on this end and I can easily
pull it through to the end if need be. I just have the wire going through
loops all the way. It is totally loose, so it is easy enough to pull back
and get the slack. If I run short of wire, I can always add some more on
this end.  That is easy. I do have a number of good splices in it anyway.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager