Re: [IRCA] Dxing from Vancouver Island

> In mid-July I'll be spending a few days on the west coast of Vancouver
> Island - Tofino and Ucluelet. I live in the Toronto area and this will be my
> first visit to the west coast. I'll have a Kaito 1103 with its built in whip
> antenna with me.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for DXing Asia and Australia/New Zealand
> MW? Is dawn the best time? Are some frequencies better than others? Are some
> broadcasters more easily received? Or is my receiver useless to attempt MW
> DXing?

Depending on where you are staying, your biggest enemy is electrical noise.
I have stood on the balcony at the Middle Beach Lodge and listened to
Korea on 1566khz - clear as a bell on a Sony 2010 barefoot.

Generally I travel with one portable and a Drake R8 - one wellbrook ALA100
antenna and some random wire.
I also have a few passive loops in various sizes but since I bought the ALA100,
I have pretty much given up on loops.

Let us know if you are going to be passing through Victoria
and we can get the guys together for coffee.

--
Colin Newell - Victoria B.C. Canada
www.coffeecrew.com  |  www.dxer.ca