Re: [IRCA] WNJC-1360

Les Rayburn wrote:

> I also agree that it will be nice to have exact times for the QRSS portion
> of the test. But can't guarantee that it will be possible for some tests.
> Even the upcoming KXTO test, for example...at present, I do not know the
> exact times that the QRSS portions of the test.
>
> My plan is to run a dedicated receiver (I have two) to the QRSS effort, and
> just let Argo run. I've set up the computer to do "screen grabs" and save
> them as .JPEG files. Then they can be reviewed each morning during low power
> test period. This is old hat to those of us who chase NDB's and/or do LF
> work.

That's how I'll likely proceed on the next test, i.e. two receivers and
two computers doing screen grabs.

> I suspect that short notice tests will continue to be more and more the
> norm. Details about specific content and timing will continue to be
> difficult to provide, though not for lack of trying. That is why "real time"
> tools such as the Starchat #MWDX will be important.  A local DXer (local to
> the test) can easily alert everyone
> when QRSS tones start...and then everyone can switch over their settings.
>
> Is there anyone local to the KXTO test?

Any idea as to why the non-standard QRSS dot length of 5 seconds was
selected for these tests? It might be a lot easier for listeners that
are new to QRSS if a standard dot length such as 3 seconds, 10 seconds,
or 30 seconds were used. This would allow for the preset mode settings
to be used optimally without much adjustment needed. the 3 second timing
might be OK.

What do others think?

Rick Kunath