Re: [IRCA] Copper/Radials

>Have you ever heard of a station running radials on top of
>the ground though?

If you don't mind my commenting...

There have been tests that show as few as six elevated radials can equal a full buried 120 radial system.  I have not see the setup, but the 640 Disney station in the Philadelphia market uses these.  From speaking with their consultant, it works well.  But, it is noted that there is a high voltage at the far end of the radial.  I think that station is 50kw, so it's not a surprise.

I had suggested that they connect the ends of two adjacent radials.  This would turn six individual radials into three fat triangular shaped ones.  The larger effective diameter might widen the bandwidth and lower the voltage at the ends.

If I had a non-d station with a lousy ground system, I would buy a couple of rolls of #12 THHN wire and see if I could make it work.

>..with copper going for so much today, a stations copper would
>be worth a small fortune. Both KAST & KKEE have their radials
>in the bay and I wonder if there are any left? The salt water
>hasn't been a help I am sure in 50 years or more. KAST may have
>installed some new ones sometime back, but I don't know for sure.

The 1220 station in Providence has a system that goes into salt water.  Even a fairly minimal radial system can be very effective in salt water.  As long as there is a good connection to the water or mud, it's probably OK.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI