Re: [IRCA] Tempe, AZ to Oakland, CA IBOC spectrum wrecker

kevin redding wrote:
>> My experience from when I lived in eastern California is that Tempe
>> (it
>> was still KNIX back then)
>
> My memory on this must be crummy. I remember KTUF and KCWW but not
> KNIX. Maybe was before my time?

I was in California in 1988-89, and at that point 1580 was simulcasting
KNIX-FM. Reconstructing from my shelf of Broadcasting Yearbooks, I find
that it changed from KNIX(AM) to KCWW in 1990, and I find listings for
KNIX(AM) going back as far as 1981. My 1973 BY shows 1580 as KTUF, so
the flip to KNIX(AM) would have been sometime in the mid- to
late-seventies, I guess.

I seem to recall KNIX(AM) being in AM stereo then, too. I had my
SRF-A100 out in California with me, and it was kind of a golden age of
AM stereo, with probably a dozen or so solid signals playing music at
night. KBOI was often the station of choice late at night, before they
reconfigured their night signal years later. All the LA and SF 50s were
pretty close to local-quality at night, and even many of the LA 5s like
KFWB and KFAC 1330 were solid. I remember listening to classical music
at night on KFAC pretty clearly. I had no locals at night (the closest
was a graveyarder on 1230 50 miles away across a mountain range!), so it
was a nice DX spot.

It was a different era...and not even 20 years ago. Wish I'd taped more.