Re: [IRCA] Tempe, AZ to Oakland, CA IBOC spectrum wrecker

Re: [IRCA] Tempe, AZ to Oakland, CA IBOC spectrum wrecker

Hi Scott and all, I get k l i v, but I don't know if it was me, or
what, but Alameda is about 7 or 8 miles from here in Oakland, and
there, at a radio shack, one day after sunset, there was k l i v loud
and clear as you please, while here, it is barried amongst McFarland,
and I believe, Ensenada, as well as the station whos' call I can't
remember at the moment from Ventura, and the k m i k hash exhibited
itself toward the upper side of k l i v's carrier, or the mess on 1590.

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:26:09 -0400, Scott Fybush wrote:

kevin redding wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2007, at 2:07 AM, Marty Rimpau wrote:
>> Hi all, it looks like it's definite, just moments ago, I turned off my
>> g e radio super 2 on 1580, and there was an open carrier, and on the
>> 1570 side, I did hear iboc hash, so it looks as though k m i k has
>> gone, or is testing their iboc.
>
> Ok Guys,
>
> This just goes to show you how far IBOC destruction will travel. This
> is for all you NAY SAYERS who say that IBOC won't travel that far....
>
> Marty, who wrote the above lives in Oakland and he heard KMIK with
> their IBOC spectrum wrecker from Tempe, AZ at 653 miles away.
>
> This is for all of you who told me that I didn't hear hash from WOR
> and WLW on the first day of testing.

My experience from when I lived in eastern California is that Tempe (it

was still KNIX back then) puts a pretty reliable analog signal up that
way at night, so there's no reason to expect that its IBOC carriers
wouldn't go that far, too.

I'd be very interested in knowing how much analog signal Marty gets at
night from KLIV 1590 San Jose, and whether KMIK's sidebands cause it
any
interference to that signal.

This is all experimental at this point, especially for the broadcasters

trying it, and it's safe to say that nobody knows for sure just how
much
damage night IBOC will cause in the real world. (I agree with the "let
the chips fall where they may" approach - but I fear there won't be
enough broadcasters lighting up at night to offer a full demonstration
of how bad it might get.)

And I reiterate my hope that, for the good of the DX hobby, we can all
refrain from getting personal about any of this. It's not worth the ill

will it engenders.

Marty