Re: [IRCA] DRM vs IBOC

> But from a technical standpoint, DRM has many of the same
> "features" that are so often cited by DXers as failings in the Ibiquity
> IBOC system. It's still essentially a buzzsaw across the band when heard
> on an analog receiver, albeit on-channel instead of adjacent-channel. It
> still requires new receivers, few if any of which are currently on the
> market (unless you have the technical know-how to experiment with a
> software-based receiver, which limits the audience to DXers).

When I was visiting England last month, I saw quite a range of DRM
receivers in the windows of the discount and grey-market electronics shops
along Edgware Road (if you're familiar with that part of London, it's
Beirut on the Thames!).  Roberts seemed like the most popular brand.  But
I have no idea how many are actually sold.  I would rather doubt they were
flying off the shelves, and the prices weren't exactly cheap.  But then
the cost of living in London is ridiculous, with many consumer goods
costing the same in pounds what they would sell for in dollars over here
(and £1 is about $2.35 Canadian)

73

Mike Brooker
Toronto, ON