Re: [IRCA] The sky is not falling, and the hobby's far from dead

On 3/23/07, Paul Crankshaw <paulc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here in Europe there are a few DRM stations which I presume are the
> equivalent of IBOC.

Paul,

I believe IBOC it's even worse. DRM as pure digital modulation maintains a
spectral occupancy of 9 kHz, which is bad in cases like the one you're
referring to. If I'm not mistaken, IBOC being a hybrid mode, it adds 10 kHz
of digital modulations to each 5 kHz of analogue sidebands, for a total
occupancy of 30 kHz. Digital side bands have lower power, but I can assure
their effect in the daytime is huge. I've experienced IBOC only once last
year, waiting for a connecting flight in Newark, it was on 1280 from NY
(what was that, a Hispanic, WADO?). The digital hash spilled over at least
two channels on each side of the tuned frequency. When I compare that to
RAI's DRM local test in Siziano, some 30 kilometers south of Milan, on 693
kHz, my situation here sounds slightly better, at least I'm, not losing two
side channels on each flank, even with wide filters.
I hope Scott's considerations will prove sound as they certainly look at
present.

73s
Andy