Re: [IRCA] R-390A

I just came home from NY where I just picked up a Motorola R-390A and a
Collins R-390.
I've never used a good modern SS rig so I can't compare them but I've never
had problems getting splits with good boatanchors, the only complaint I have
with the 390A is that on 1 KHz apart splits I have no way of getting totally
rid of the het. I got a lot of TA's last year with an HQ-180, I got a lot
late last year with a SP-600 which for my money ranks right up there with
the best of them if you have a nice restored one. The HRO-60's and 50's are
also right up there with the best for AM DXing.
I've gotten many splits with a 390A also. You have to baby these things,
align them, retube them fiddle with them a lot, if you do you can really
make nice DX machines out of them. If you just use them year after year
without checking them their performance will suffer, they are like cars,
need to be tuned up once in a while, check this, check that. That is one of
the things I like about them, taking them apart and getting to know how they
work and painstakingly aligning them, etc. Can't do that with a modern 2 lb
radio, then again maybe you don't need to, but I love the radios as much as
I love DXing, love it all, the Anchors have personality galore. If anyone
really loves radios and wants a 390A by all means get one, you'll probably
never be sorry and if you are you can get at least as much as you paid for
it, and they are as stable as a rock once they warm up.

Bob Young
Boatanchorville, Ma
KB1OKL