Re: [IRCA] KXEL, etc.

saulamdx wrote:

> I think it comes down to how the opinion is expressed.
> If rudely, then I'd agree with you, Les. But if a
> constructive comment, put civilly, causes such
> distress that stations cease to QSL or conduct DX
> tests, and hold DXers in ill repute - well, I think
> that's an over-reaction on their part.

It seems to me that some stations are just looking for a convenient
excuse not to be bothered, and if it weren't a mailing list posting,
they'd have some other reason not to run a test.

> I'm not terribly moved
> about stations whose owners and/or management don't
> give a damn about their listeners. Like another
> lister, I thought WWL did a bang-up job during Katrina
> and in the aftermath, though I continue to hold the
> N.O. Times-Picayune newspaper staff as particularly
> exemplary in the face of what really was a dangerous
> situation. My guess is KXEL would have floated away.

It isn't now (and never was) my intention to cast aspersions on KXEL
specifically. I didn't start the thread, and I keep trying to change the
title of it. I don't know the engineers there, and I don't know what
they were up against. They're in an awfully small market for a 50 kW AM,
and buying a generator might not be the slam-dunk cost-benefit
calculation it would be in a bigger market. The points I've been trying
to make are more general ones, that being prepared for an emergency pays
off in the long run for stations big and small.

WWL is, in many ways, a more interesting case than KXEL. They were quite
well prepared for a big storm. Ironically, their chief engineer had just
given a presentation on emergency preparedness at the NAB convention the
April before Katrina, including some interesting shots of the old WWL
site in Metairie (long gone, to make room for the airport) under several
feet of water after a flood in the 1940s. They had backup power for the
studio, backup power (two generators) at the hardened transmitter site,
and even a completely separate backup transmitter site.

And yet...when the storm slammed that site overnight Sunday into Monday,
WWL did go off the air, and stayed off the air until late on Monday.
What happened? For all the planning, one element wasn't taken into
consideration: they didn't station an engineer out at the transmitter
site, and when the shore power went off, the generator started running,
but then hit an "overcrank" alarm and went off. That's something that
can be reset in a matter of seconds if someone's present, but instead it
took almost a day to be able to get someone out to the remote site to
kick the generator back on. I do not know, even now, why the backup
transmitter site wasn't put into service.

WWL recovered heroically once it got back on the air, and its subsequent
role as a communication link during the flooding and recovery is indeed
worthy of one of the mythical "gold stars" being handed out in this
thread. But any emergency recovery plan can have its weak links, and now
WWL (and anyone else who cares to learn from their experiences, which
they've been very good about sharing) knows something else to add to
their plan in case there's a "next time." (There are now three
generators at the WWL site, from what I'm told.)

Is this all germane to a DX list? As a DXer who's also a broadcaster
(or, these days, a broadcaster who also occasionally finds some spare
time to DX), it adds value and perspective to my DX experience to know
not only who's on the air and who's off the air, but why.