Re: [IRCA] KXEL deserves a reprimand or license revocation

Re: [IRCA] KXEL deserves a reprimand or license revocation

> Why so many DX'ers seem to want to sit in judgment about how stations
> should and do conduct their affairs is beyond me. These posts will likely
> find their way back to the management at KXEL making it harder to
> obtain a DX test, QSL's or other consideration from them in the future.

OK, let me add a couple thoughts..

As a DXer since the 50's and a broadcast engineer since 1970, I always
recommend my clients have backup power...

When the power is out for that long, the whole site goes down to ambient
temperature.  On a tube type transmitter, condensation from the cold air can
be a death knell for high voltage power components.  In the late 70's, a
Providence station lost a plate transformer due to a heat failure at their
site.  It was a backup transmitter.  When they fired it up, it went boom.
Cost thousands to fix it.

Credibility vanishes with the signal loss.  My guess it will take them a
long time before this outage will be forgotten.  I would not want to be in
their sales department right now.

It may also be that they have a generator and it had a major failure.  Did
anyone even check that?

What I don't understand is why they didn't try to get a portable generator
on site.  A bit of time on the phone no doubt would have found one within a
day's drive.  Plow the road to the site, have an electrician standing by,
and it probably could have been back on-air within an hour of the gen set
arrival.  Construction sites and even film companies often use these.  They
are out there.  Daily rate is probably a small fraction of ad revenue.

Craig Healy