Re: [IRCA] Palstar MW550P

Hi Guy,

The selectivity issue with yours was different than mine. Mine is good
down to about 540. The difference between 530 & 540 is basically the
same. By the time you get to 550, the selectivity is sharp. . So right
at the end of the range mine is affected. I never have tried to change
it, as it is not an issue.
   I really like the unit. One issue most DXers would not have to deal
with, is Electric Fence noise. I do living a few feet from one. The
Drake R8's noise blanker does a great job with taking the noise out on
95% of the channels or more. But when you get an issue with a strong
signal next to a weak one, the noise blanker does not remove the noise
on the weak channel. Having a wide open front end on the R8 with no
presellector, I get the clicking. Now using the Palstar MW550P, adding
the selectivity it knocks the adjacent signal down up to 20 DB, as the
unit has a very sharp Q, that knocking the strong signal down does two
things. First the noise blanker does not see that strong signal next
door any longer and the noise blanker does its job in removing the
clicking and second,  a great benefit knocking the strong signal down
10-20 DB next door, quite often the splatter is also gone. As I said, I
love the unit. Using the MW550P with the SPR4 which has a built in
preselector, adding a second one with the MW550P also helps as I can DX
in a wider position that is easier to understand the audio. So at least
with me, it is a win-win situation. I have never used the unit in an RF
area though, just here on the coast with three 1 KW locals within 10
miles. I might add, if their is any issue with the units, Paul at
Palstar stands behind them. He is great!

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager