[IRCA] Power vs tower

Bill,

I have noticed that stations on lower frequencies seem to get out better during day time hours.  When I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, KVIP on 550 kHz in Redding put in a good signal with 5 kw.  Another example was KAFY 550 kHz in Bakersfield, with 1 kw heard often during the daytime.  KSFO 560 kHz with 5 kw also put out a nice signal in the Sierra Nevada mountains.  Their signal was stronger at times than the 50 kw SF stations.  My father told me the reason when I first started Dxing in the 60's, but I forgot the reason he gave.  Sure someone on the list will know.

Dennis,
Vancouver, WA
48.7 F
9.27 C