Re: [IRCA] Robins say spring is coming

At 11:07 AM 2/2/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>Cholly wrote:
>"Three days ago, I saw a flock of some 12 robins pause next door and
>commence to chow down on some berries from the trees there. Robins are
>supposed to be checked out on the coming of Spring, and NC is not within
>their wintering area."
>
>I would never question either the wit or the wisdom of either CAT or Der
>Kashketfeller, but David Allen Sibley does (at least of the former). The
>American Robin, according to Sibley's map, is found year around in all but
>the Canadian border areas of the United States. But only in Florida and
>southern areas of Georgia, Texas, Arizona and California can you expect
>the same robins to live year around.

Qal

Thank you for never questioning my wit or wisdom. The quantity 0 (zero) is
accepted everywhere. As for Don D. Caskethumpermann, don't even question
his wit or wisdom. Ever. He has put up with me for several decades. Either
he is patient or dumb. I say he is patient.

Anyone care to fight over the matter....I mean a beat-em-up, knock 'em down
fight?

Hi.

>When I was a newspaper editor in Illinois, I had to humor the callers who
>would see the first robin of the year in January or February. T'ain't
>news, I'd tell 'em. They've just run out of food on the farm or in the
>woods, I'd tell 'em.
>
>Cholly, they didn't believe me, either.

OK, I'll take your word for it. The robins were just dumb, and will
probably head back south when they see what a blunder they've made.
Besides, who wants to eat cold berries with the wind blowing into your
intergluteal cleft?

I remember your career at WMIX. Which paper did you edit?

>Which brings up the question of how one goes about QSL'ing the tiny
>transmitters ornithologists attach to our feathered friends to track their
>annual pilgrimages.

That may be a worthwhile question. There must be data encoded in the
transmissions to determine which bird is which. But I'll bet you the birds
in question won't send you a QSL. And how would one determine which
ornithologist to send a report to? And do ornithologists know how to write?

Cee Alan Taylor,
Garufunk, NC

        -----
Charles A Taylor, WD4INP