Re: [IRCA] transferring recordings from cassettes to digital media

Re: [IRCA] transferring recordings from cassettes to digital media

the always-interesting (to me anyway) Boing-Boing site had this item a while
back:

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/14/cassette_tape_ripper.html

 The Firebox Plus Deck Cassette Converter is a $130 cassette deck for your
PC that comes with software for easily converting your tapes to MP3s digital
audio files (the deck even has auto-reverse!). I have a TON of stuff on
cassette that I've been struggling with -- there are services that will rip
tapes, but they're not cheap, and when I look at things like out-of-print
audiobooks that come on 18 tapes, I just can't justify spending hundreds of
dollars on ripping them, but I don't want to toss them out either. When I
finally get my tapes out of storage, I am *so* getting one of these.

Update: Many have written to point out that the player doesn't record to
MP3, just WAVs, and that you have to do a lot of futzing to get it to work
right.

then it directs you to
http://www.firebox.com/product/1700?src_t=wnw&currency_conversion=1