Re: [IRCA] [AMFMTVDX] HD mp3 recorders for recording DX

Re: [IRCA] [AMFMTVDX] HD mp3 recorders for recording DX

I have an iRiver 20GB, and it has been great!  Some observations:

*  FM Only
*  Receiver quality is better than I would have expected.  Very sensitive,
average selectivity for a portable, though it overloads from close
transmitters pretty easily.
*  Recording locks the unit, this is a negative if you want to record many
legal IDs near each other, etc.  While recording, you cannot adjust volume,
frequency, or anything
*  After you stop recording, the unit seems to freeze for 5-15 seconds
before you can use it again (change the freq. etc.)  This is also annoying
when taping IDs, etc.  This seems variable, sometimes I am able to tune
right away after stopping, but I have not figure out why yet.
*  Makes nice quality mp3 recordings (three settings, low, medium and high)
Setting to high does not seem to slow down speed much.
*  It has a timer so you can record later in the day (i.e. tape 90 minutes
of 103.5 at 2pm).  But you have to be careful, by default it records at that
time EVERY day from then forward until you shut it off.

Minor annoyances listed above aside, I'm very happy with it! Sure beats
having lots of tapes and portable boomboxes!

Greg Coniglio
Alden NY