Re: [IRCA] Spectrographs

Jim,

I love playing with spectrum display programs.  I use them for
various reasons on the different bands and with different signal modes.

I've collected several:
Sprectrogram (both the free and pay versions)
Spectran
SR5 Spectrum Analyzer
Spectrum Lab

Of these, Spectrum Lab is the most complex.  I've only had it for a
short while and have not had nearly enough time to even begin to
understand its full potential.  I have little doubt it can do
everything any of the others that I list can, but only with a steep
learning curve.  Probably not the place to start.

SR5 Spectrum Analyzer on the other hand doesn't seem to provide the
functions of the others, though it is a good software DSP.  I've had
this for some time but never seem to go to it for what I would
consider spectrum analyzer applications.

Spectran is a very popular program which is one of the two I
generally turn to.  It is a bit more difficult to set up when moving
back and forth with different signal types.  For measuring the
frequencies of carriers and hets, this program is excellent.  My
version (2.0 build 213) tends to lock-up at times when changing
settings on the fly, but a quick shut-down and restart has it going
again fairly quickly.  This no doubt contributes to my assessment
that it is more difficult to use when switching between signal modes.

Spectrogram (Free version 5.0.6) is a very nice, easy to use program
which can be quickly called into service to look at a het or
beacon.  In fact though, it is a bit too simple at times, not
providing measurement capabilities on a par with other
programs.  Some download sites still have earlier versions (4.2) of
the free program which have even more constraints and also more bugs.

Spectrogram (Pay version 14.4) is almost as simple to use as the free
version, but is much more capable and more reliable in its
operations.  This is my other spectrum program of choice.  I only
just got this version and find more and more I go to it first for a
quick look at signals.  Last night when it was mentioned Radio Reloj
had been heard on 780, this is the program I fired up to look for the
1000 Hz TOM beep and 1800 Hz RR in Morse code.  If I need more
precision in measuring the signal, then I would turn to Spectran and
take the time to set it up for those measurements.

This is not intended to be an exhaustive list, just the ones I have
and therefore am somewhat familiar with.  Not included are some
programs that incorporate spectrum displays as an adjunct to their
other functions.  Nor have I attempted to evaluate these programs
based on cost.  For the price, one of these might be considered a far
better buy even though I've suggested the opposite when just looking
at function.

It would take me a while to dig out links for all of these, but if
there are one or two you can't find, let me know.  Same goes for any
questions my comments may have raised.

Bottom line, if you only get one and want good flexibility and
function, with a moderate learning curve, then Spectran is probably
that one program.  But as I say, my first choice with more than one
program available to me, for the quick look, is the product version
of Spectrogram.  How's that for wishy washy?

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida