[IRCA] Report on Montana "Big Sky" DX Test

[IRCA] Report on Montana "Big Sky" DX Test

QSL INFORMATION
Electronic QSL's (E-QSL's) were all e-mailed out on December 14th. If you
submitted a report and expected a QSL and have not received a reply. Please
re-submit your original report (including the recording, if available) with
a note letting me know that you did not receive a reply.

les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Postal QSL's should be mailed out by week's end, with any luck. Believe it
or not, I continue to receive reception reports (two or three per day)
despite the fact that the test was almost a month ago. I wonder why DX'ers
don't receive their QSL cards---

The Montana "Big Sky" DX Test turned out to be one of the most popular tests
with DX'ers in some time. Our thanks again to the ABDX List, Engineer Ron
Huckeby, Tony Mulligan, Todd Clark, Steven Dow, Michael Richard of KEVA, and
the staff of these
stations for all their efforts to make this test possible. We'd also like to
thank Brandon Jordan for his wonderful web site which has become a real tool
for DX Tests and Joe Miller who designed all the QSL cards for the test.
Without their support, it would be impossible to get these tests organized.

Regular readers will note that this edition of the report is abbreviated. It
was simply impossible to edit all the reports received here and hope to get
this edition out in any reasonable amount of time. A full Microsoft Word
version of this test has been produced, and is available on Brandon Jordan's
web site:

www.dxtests.info

So, if your name isn't mentioned here, I apologize in advance. The full
report contains the unedited reports of each listener who sent one in.
Electronic QSL cards were e-mailed out on December 13th. We hope to get
postal requests out next week. Please be patient. Postal reports (of which
there were over 60 reports) will not be reproduced in the full report or
here. Simply takes too long to transcribe all that text into electronic
form.

I keep preaching, but we all need to join the "Information Age".

KEIN 1310khz Great Falls, MT (5KW Daytime Pattern)
KLCY 930khz, East Missoula, MT (5KW Daytime Pattern)
KGVO 1290khz, Missoula, MT (5KW Daytime Pattern)
KANA 580khz, Anaconda, MT (1KW Daytime Pattern)
KERR   750khz Polson, MT (50KW Non-Directional)
KKGR 680khz East Helena, MT (5KW Non-Directional)

It appears that KEIN, KLCY, and KGVO did not participate in the test.
Possibly due to automation problems or other issues. This is a great example
of why real time, Internet based information sources are so vital to serious
DX'ers. Many listeners participated in a real time chat room devoted to
Medium Wave DXing, at
http:www.starchat.net

The channel is #MWDX. Those of us active on the chat quickly realized that
these three stations were not participating, thanks to reports from local or
near local DX'ers. Likewise, it was quickly determined that KKGR 680khz was
getting out very well across the country. This despite their being limited
to 500 watts of power into a short 290 foot tower.

The "lesson learned" from the DX Tests this season is clear. Schedules will
change, sometimes at the last minute. Real time, Internet based access to
information such as the NRC "DX Tip" list, web sites like www.dxtests.info,
and chat rooms like #MWDX are critical to putting new stations into the log.

The two most widely heard stations were KKGR 680khz &KERR 750khz, who did
not run Morse
Code or Sweep Tones. However, their unique format of classic country music
made them easy to pick out on the channel. They also ran a lot of voice ID's
which many DX'ers recorded.

KKGR 680khz was a huge surprise. And was the station most widely heard
during the test.

KANA also showed up in a quite a few logs, and despite their lack of
participation in the test, some careful monitoring of 1290khz put KGVO into
the logs for some lucky DX'ers.

HIGHLIGHTS & PROBLEMS
Both KERR 750khz and KKGR 680khz were heard "across the pond" with nice
recordings coming in from Sweden and even Berlevag, in the Arctic Circle...a
distance of over 4,000 miles!

Also logging both KERR and KKGR was Vesa-Jussi Rinkinen in Finland, at a
distance of almost 4,700 miles. The recordings were clearer than many of the
files we received from domestic DX'ers, even those in nearby Western states.
I'd describe Vesa's recording of KERR has being nearly "local" quality.
Voice ID easily readable, music selections quite clear as well. Amazing to
hear this at that distance.

As predicted, the test resulted in the first logging of Montana for many
DX'ers, including loggings from California to Maryland--making the test a
coast to coast success. Richard Wood in Keaau, HI also managed to log KERR
750khz and KKGR 680, at a distance of slightly over 3,000 miles.

The unique nature of this test also attracted a lot of listeners who might
not normally participate in AM DXing on a regular basis. We received reports
from ham radio operators, shortwave listeners, and even one listener who
logged the test on a high performance crystal radio! Eric Haydon of Lincoln,
NE had already pulled in three Montana stations in the past using his home
made crystal radio, and thanks to the test was able to put a few more into
the log. Building and operating hot rod versions of the old familiar crystal
radio is a wonderful sub-set of our hobby.

At various hamfests and conventions, I've had occasion to admire and
operate some of these radios, and they are very impressive. They don't much
resemble the Quaker Oats box and longwire version that many of us built as
kids, and they certainly don't perform like them either. I've heard a few
that would give my Drake R8B a run for it's money!

More information on Eric's radio can be found at:
www.crystalradio.us

After pouring through the reception reports, some common mistakes emerged
that may have prevented some from logging the test. Many had the mistaken
belief that KERR 750khz would be airing Morse Code ID's and/or sweep tones.
It was clearly stated in the test announcements that they would only be
running normal programming with more frequent ID's.

It's important to do your homework as the details for each test are often
different. And KKGR 680khz which was the most widely heard station of all
did not join the "party" until just a few days prior to the test. Those
DX'ers who rely solely on printed publications would not even know that
station was testing.

We did send out postal mail updates using the NRC/IRCA "Flash Card"
system--but we no doubt had a significant number of members who were not
even listening for KKGR. A real shame, since this 5KW signal was widely
heard!

Another issue is reports that were sent with incomplete information. Many
DX'ers do not bother to include their name or location. Some send very
detailed reports but give no indication if they expect a verification or
not. Some send e-mails saying that sound files were attached, but they
weren't. Others sent clips that were way too long---one recording we
received (via e-mail!) was nearly an hour in length.

Exact times were also an issue for many DX'ers. Often after a test, we have
to use some detective work to assemble "logs" of details for the station. In
this case, we constructed a "song" log for KERR noting what songs and
artists were played during the test, along with the times of voice ID's. But
while many DX'ers got the details right, there were variances of up to ten
minutes in the reported times of events.

In this age of inexpensive clocks that are synced to WWVB, freeware
utilities
to sync your PC clock to the same time standard, and all of us having access
to receivers that will tune in WWV...it's hard to explain why more DX'ers
are not more critical with their noted times. We should all strive to be
within a minute of "atomic time" especially during a DX test. In some cases,
it may be the difference between being able to verify a report or not.

Finally, I'd like to encourage everyone to find and listen to a song called
"Big Sky Country" written and recorded by my dear friend, Chris Whitley, on
his debut album for Sony Records. The album is called "Living with the Law"
and was released to critical acclaim. Many of the songs from the album were
used in the movie, "Thelma and Louise".
Chris passed away earlier this year from cancer. He was only 45, and leaves
behind a beautiful daughter. The entire time that we were arranging this
test, I thought about him and this song. For many of us who only dreamed of
logging the "Big Sky Country", it's the perfect anthem for the test.

Thanks again to all who worked so hard to make this test a reality!

SOAPBOX

It was good fun having such a large and lively group on the #mwdx chat...
y'all come back soon, y'hear?
-Barry McLarnon
Ottawa, Ontario

I have a new state and life is wonderful.
-Bill Harms
Elkridge, MD

Managed to stay up till 0125 CST this morning. Rewarded with a nice ID from
KERR 750
at 0136. Two new Montana stations for me this morning!
-Bruce Winkleman
Tulsa, OK

This was really a lot of fun. Especially chatting with the other DX'ers
across the country in the chatroom. (#MWDX)
-Brian Leyton
Valley Village, CA

KKGR heard approximately 0230.  Sweep tones, very fast Morse IDs.
Thought I might be hearing things the first time but the second time it
was definitely KKGR Morse.

No sign on any other frequency.  Thought KERR would be the big signal
here but WSB is way too strong.
-Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN

Sad to say, but join the club. Maybe we'll have better luck next time.
I did, however, hear AZ for the first time tonight. I also heard a new
station in IA and KY.
-Bert New
Watkinsville, Georgia

I heard KKGR at around 0205 to 0210 (not sure of the exact
time as I was taping several frequencies at once. I've got a pretty
fair segment of code on 680 for KKGR and was pleasantly surprised!
Unfortunately none of the others made it here with the possible
reception of 750 KERR.
-John Hunter
Rossville, GA

Only 2 of the 6 Montana Tests were positively heard, KANA-580 & KKGR-680.
KERR-750 was most likely heard, as there was a fairly strong station on
750Khz playing old C&W music, such as Freddie Fender etc, but no Morse,
sweeps, etc. The station faded out completely at the 0300ELT TOH before ID
could be heard....aggghhhh!!
-John Tucker
Meza, AZ

I'm having a very difficult time in S E Michigan. 3 of the 6 channels have
local stations (580, 680, 1310), 2 are semi-local (930, 1290), leaving only
KERR on 750.

After nulling WSB, the best I could manage was some underlying country music
sounds drifting in and out. I'll go back and replay my tape to see if I
salvage anything.
-Joe Miller
Troy, Michigan

(After logging KKRG, KERR, and KANA) My life is complete!
-Mike Hawkins
Campbell, CA

Thanks for the opportunity to hear Big Sky country on AM.
-Carl Mann
Omaha, NE

I am pleased to report that I managed to increase my Montana totals by 100%
from
1 heard to 2 heard, thanks to 750-KERR.  My other Montana dates back to a
790-KGHL frequency check (remember those?) back in 1976 (when I was in
Junior High).
I have a green QSL card for that one.
-Neil Wolfish
Toronto, Ontario

(KERR 750)Blasting in with C&W totally creaming KXL with Honey by Bobby
Goldsboro,
after a nice ID
-Patrick Martin
Seaside, OR

KKGR excellent w/sweep tones & fast CW IDs thru KNBR football
recaps. Really good if that is indeed only 500w. (Editor's Note: Nope, they
were
at 5KW. Your old editor made a typo on the original test announcement. But
that signal was only feeding a very short 290 foot antenna!)
-Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA

KERR in here with C&W with good signal when able to rise above KXL
and KOAL. If KEIN airs MOYL, I also had them briefly in the jumble.
-Bob Pietsch (aka The Rocklin Rocket)
Rocklin, CA

73, and Thanks again---

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867