Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Mystery Signal on 1020khz & 1610khz

--- Neil Kazaross <neilkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is a decent ways south of DC and definately north of my DF to
> the tones from here near Chicago. That being said, I certainly cannot
> claim the my DF's are accurate enough to rule this out.
>
> So I am asking anyone on these lists the following.
>
> If you live in the VA/MD vicinity and took some good DF's are you
> able to most definately state that the direction was no where near
> Bowling Green ?

While I'm not in that immediate vicinity, Bowling Green VA would be
within a reasonable margin of error for the bearings I got on 1610, and
would seem to be within a margin of error for some of the others
reported. I tend to agree that the greater the distance the greater the
magnitude for potential error, and for the majority of those reporting,
one would have to ascribe a nominal +/- 5 or even +/- 7.5 simply due to
the imprecise nature of a portable radio or even a loop bearing. A loop
outdoors in a field would likely be more accurate than a loop indoors
which would be affected by metal within the building structure.

Unfortunately, applying that kind of a range of potential error to the
bearings posted would cover the entire area of SE VA.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id