[IRCA] FEMA TIS in Selma, AL

Spoke with some very nice FEMA folks today in Selma, AL after getting some
introductions from the EMA folks that we do ARES work with here locally.

They were able to provide a lot of information.

FEMA operates a large distribution site in Selma, similar to many across the country. Since
Katrina, they've been a hub for the familiar "FEMA trailers". Hundreds of these trailers are
stored on site, with contracted drivers coming into and out of the site daily to pick up
the homes and transport them to the Gulf Coast.

FEMA is testing the TIS system as a way to provide timely information to drivers
as they approach the site. The license for Selma is short duration, because they
are basically testing the system, which may be more widely adopted around the
country.

The unit they purchased contained two antennas, one (much larger) for 530khz and a
smaller one for 1650khz. My contact there advised that they are testing right now
on 1650khz, with no plans to operate on 530khz. I'll have to listen harder for
them now, if I can null KWHN!

If the test proves successful, we may all have more FEMA TIS's to listen for.

73,

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film
100 Centerview Drive Suite 111